Teething: Not fun for anybody.

Kieran, my eight-month-old, is teething right now. He's cut his two bottom teeth, but I think more are already coming. This means he's a little cranky and clingy during the day and is having a tough time sleeping at night. He was up every hour or so last night and it feels like we've gone back in time. He had been sleeping for ten hours every night for the last month. We felt we'd turned the corner and everyone was getting good sleep. Now this.

That's the funny thing about parenting. Just when you think you've conquered something and life is moving along pretty smoothly, a new challenge pops up. We'll get through this part, things will get easier, and then something else will happen to throw a wrench in the works. Such is life, right?

Lack of sleep makes me cranky, too. I'm not my usual energetic self today. The good news is that Kieran is now down for a nap and Soren is still at my parents' house, where he had a sleepover with my niece. My mother-in-law will be here in about 29 minutes (but who's counting?) to take over with Kieran while I go to the salon with my favorite girlfriend. I NEED THIS TODAY! I do not feel guilty at all. I deserve it. I'm getting my hair cut and colored. I'm getting a manicure and pedicure. Is it a splurge? YES! Is it a luxury? Absolutely. It's also my favorite thing to do with my friend. I leave feeling prettier, happier and relaxed. So, yes, it's worth it.

Also, I don't have to convince my husband that it's okay for me to go to the salon. He knows I love it and he's usually the one to suggest I do it when I'm feeling tired, sad and cranky. He practically kicks me out of the house when he realizes I need a break, whether I've realized it or not. Sometimes he knows me better than I know myself. When our baby was really new, I found it very difficult to leave the house. I was breastfeeding exclusively, so for me to leave the house meant I had to feed him, jump in the car to go somewhere and be back within an hour and a half. He usually cried while I was gone and the person watching him was unable to feed him. Most of the time I felt it wasn't worth the stress. However, now that he is taking a bottle, eating baby food and enjoys being with other people, I feel a tremendous sense of freedom. There's a whole world out there just waiting for me! Now, if I could just get a little more sleep so I could enjoy it!

Comments

Popular Posts