Scary Can Be Fun

Soren and I got a new book from the library yesterday and I read it to him today before his nap.  It's based on a fairy tale from Chile and it's a chapter book.  Now, as we all know, fair tales in any culture are usually pretty frightening things.  This one is no exception.  It has monsters getting their heads chopped off and people being turned into oranges for a year and a day.  I gauged Soren's response while I was reading and found that he was entranced.  Not scared.  Riveted.

At the end of the story, I said, 'Wow, I hope no one turns me into an orange for a year and a day!'  To this he replied, 'No, Mom!  No one can turn you into an orange! It's just a story and it's not real!'

Okay!  So, we've crossed another threshold.  He can understand the difference between reality and pretend.  Things are about to get really fun around here!

Comments

Popular Posts