Fall in Love with Your Family

Yesterday was a beautiful day in Cincinnati. Sunny, warm, but not disgustingly humid like it usually is by June. I decided a picnic was in order, so I made deviled eggs, potato salad (with homemade mayonnaise), threw in a couple cheeses, crackers, fruit, a half bottle of wine and we all went to our favorite park. Soren started playing on the playground immediately while my husband and I got our picnic stuff set up. Kieran was content to just hang out in the stroller. So, we're relaxing and enjoying the afternoon when I notice that Soren is talking to a little girl. He introduced himself, as he always does, 'Hi, I'm Soren and I'm three.' She said, 'My name is Katherine and I'm two.' They were instant friends. At this point, I noticed that Katherine had a couple of siblings. My husband and I chatted briefly with their parents. They seemed to be such a nice family. Everyone was polite and playing nicely. They were enjoying each other. It's easy to spot these families, because they are RARE. As we chatted, we realized we had even more in common. It turns out that they have a full-time parent, too. In their case, it's Dad. He and I got into a brief conversation about the differences between boys and girls, as far as the way they play and learn. We had observed many similar things about children and I could tell that he loves his job just as much as I do.

It was so refreshing to see another healthy, thriving, happy family. We aren't alone! There are others like us! I wanted to exchange phone numbers and be immediate friends with these people, but I realized I might come off like a crazy stalker, especially since the parent that does what I do happens to be the dad. (Yikes, no, I wasn't hitting on your husband, lady. I just love to meet other full-time parents who get it and are doing a great job with their kids.) You can spot our kids a mile away, if you're paying attention. Our kids are the ones who are well-spoken, polite, imaginative, well-adjusted little people with bright futures. Our kids are usually more independent, resourceful and confident. Yes, I realize these are sweeping generalizations, but in my experience, I've found they are true.

So, to all the full-time parents out there, please know that you are not alone! You are doing a good job! You are doing the most important thing you can possibly do with your time. Don't give up. Don't let societal pressures tell you that it's not enough. It's more than enough. It will fill your mind and heart in every way. You will become a better person by raising your children. You get to experience the world as a brand new place, through their eyes. Enjoy it. Embrace it! Fall in love with your family.

Comments

Popular Posts