Snot-Nosed Devil Spawn

The splash park was wonderful today.  Of course I completely forgot to take any pictures.  I'm still annoyed with myself about that.  There was just so much to do and I was busy taking care of my kids.  My friend, Sheryl, and her boys were so great with Soren and Kieran, as usual.  I just love that Soren and Sheryl's youngest son, Tate, have become so close.  And now, Cameron, Sheryl's oldest, is able to help the younger kids.  He kept an eye out for them and even defended his little brother when another kid was being mean.  I love that.  It reminds me of when I was about eight years old and my sister was three.  A mean little girl in our neighborhood threw a dried mud ball directly at my sister's head.  Alexis was okay, but she was crying pretty hard.  I took her little hand and we started running after that horrible little girl.  I couldn't run very fast, partly because I was holding onto my sister and partly because I just can't run very fast.  So, I used my words instead.  I used the worst word I could think of.  I had heard my grandfather use it.  I told her she better come back and say she was sorry.  When she didn't, I called her a 'shit head'.

Picture a chubby eight year old in pigtails, holding onto her crying sister's hand, running after this little snot-nosed spawn of the devil, all the while screaming, 'YOU SHIT HEAD!'  This little girl ran straight to my house, rang my doorbell and told my mom that I called her a 'shit head'.  By this time, I was at my door, with sad, little, crying Alexis and I told my mom what really happened.  My grandparents were in the kitchen, too and my grandfather could hardly contain himself he was laughing so hard.  My mom, with a straight face, told the little girl to go home and that she would talk to her mother.  My mom then told me to go to my room because we don't use that kind of language at our house.  ('We' just didn't include my grandfather, apparently.)  It was a fair punishment, but I always knew that they were all proud of me.  I stood up for my sister who was too little to stand up for herself.

Alexis was my Matron of Honor when Bill and I got married and she told that story during her toast.  It makes me very happy that this memory is just as important to her as it is to me.  We may not always get along.  We're sisters, after all, but we will always help each other when it matters.  It starts at a very young age.  I already see it happening with Soren and Kieran.  I saw it today with Cameron and Tate.  It's such a fantastic thing.  I was so proud of our kids today.  They definitely stood out from the huge crowd of snot-nosed devil spawn.  I'm so glad they did.

Comments

Popular Posts