New Restaurants and No Sleep

Last night was date night.  Our lovely niece, Elizabeth, babysat for Soren and Kieran while Bill and I went to a new Japanese restaurant in OTR called Kaze.  The food was amazing and the ambiance was chic and sophisticated.  We sat at the sushi bar instead of a table, which made it even cooler.  We tried new things, talked, laughed and had a wonderful time.  Afterwards, we were supposed to go to a party for the opening of a new brewery in town.  We went for about 10 minutes.  It was really hot and the line for the bar wasn't moving.  So, we went downtown, got a drink and went to a concert on Fountain Square.  We even ran into some friends the band playing was a favorite of Bill's.  Perfect!

Perhaps we had too much fun.  We were home before midnight, which seems reasonable, right?  Yeah, not when your baby wakes up crying at 3:50 AM.  I changed him and put him back down, but he was up again at 4:45.  This time, my husband got up with him.  Then Soren was up at 5:30.  Bill and I were like zombies for most of the morning.  We took turns taking naps, which helped a little.  Oh, who am I kidding?  I still feel like crap and can hardly keep my eyes open.  At least the kids are in bed early.  I hope to follow them in a couple of hours.

Everyone always says that you can't recover as quickly from a night out as you get older.  I really don't think age has anything to do with it.  Responsibility is the difference.  When you're 23 and don't have children, you can go out on Friday night and have one too many.  Then you can sleep in as late as you want to on Saturday.  You can hang out in your pajamas and watch TV and take naps.  You can order in and just relax.  Eventually, when you're ready to venture out into the world, you put your sunglasses on and head for your favorite greasy spoon where you drink coffee and eat eggs and hash browns until you begin to feel human.

When you're a real grownup with children, you don't have that luxury.  You still have to take care of those kids, do the dishes, prepare meals, etc.  Your kids don't care if you're tired.  They have tons of energy and want you to play and do all the exciting stuff you usually do.

Don't get me wrong, it was absolutely worth it.  My husband and I really needed to let loose a little bit.  He's under a lot of pressure with work (Bunbury is only 12 days away) and it was great to see him having fun and laughing his ass off with friends.  The picture below is of our friend, Sean (on the left), and Bill.  Look at the smiles!  So, yes, it was worth it.  Yes, I feel kind of old.  But, now that I've had time to recover, I'm really glad we went a little overboard.  It reminds us that we're still 'fun'.  We may not party like rock stars every night, but we've still got it.

Comments

Popular Posts