Being on the Fence Hurts

I'm tired of being on the fence when it comes to whether or not I should homeschool my boys.  My husband and I have been discussing it, researching it and thinking about it quite a bit.  The other night, during another discussion, my husband finally gave me his real opinion.  He's all for it.  I don't know why, but this completely surprised me.  I knew he wasn't against it and that he was leaving the decision up to me, but he hadn't seemed very excited about it, until now.

Finally, he admitted that he didn't want to pressure me into it.  That's why he didn't tell me that he really does think it's the best thing to do.  He knows that I will be the one doing the teaching and that it's a huge commitment.  He thinks I'm the best person to teach our boys.  I couldn't believe it.  What a vote of confidence!  If he thinks I can do it and I think I can do it, then what is stopping me??  

For all intents and purposes, I'm already homeschooling.  I've been doing it for three and a half years.  Soren's progress is the direct result of that effort and he's doing very well.  I've looked at the preschool guidelines and discussed it with his teachers.  He's way ahead of the curve.  He can count, say the alphabet, write some letters, recognize shapes, draw some shapes, identify all colors, follow directions, tell stories and remember stories.  He will work on an activity (if it's one he likes) for over an hour.  Physically, he's right on track.  He can throw and catch.  He can run, jump, climb and balance.   He can play games with some complex rules.  He speaks like an adult, for the most part.  He's polite, thoughtful and usually well-behaved.  He understands cause and effect.  He will think things through to a logical conclusion.  (That's more than I can say for a lot of adults!)  

Okay, enough of that.  My kid is doing well.  I am teaching him well.  It's time for me to get off this fence!  Here goes!  Wish me luck...

Comments

Popular Posts