Easy Like Sunday Morning...

I love that song, but it no longer resonates with me. Sundays are not 'easy'. Sundays are very similar to every other day of the week, especially during my husband's busy time at work. We woke up at 6:15 this morning when we heard Soren, my three-year-old, singing, 'Mommy, Daddy, the sun is up! Doo, doo doo doo doo.  It's time to wake up!' The funny part is that, while this is Soren's normal time to wake up, the baby, Kieran, was still sleeping. He slept from 6:45 last night until 6:20 this morning! THAT IS A FIRST! He's usually up by 4:45 or 5:00. Consequently, I slept deeply and very well. For that, I am extremely grateful. My husband even told me to sleep in, if I wanted to. He got to sleep in yesterday. We try to take turns on the weekend, but I found that I was awake and sleeping was just not an option for my buzzing brain. We came downstairs, got everyone fed, coffee made and then started playing. My husband and I decided it was time to move the baby gate off of Soren's bedroom door and put it on the doorway to the playroom for the baby. Soren really hasn't needed the gate for some time, but we were hesitant to take it off his door because there are wooden stairs right outside his room. We didn't want him to wander out, half asleep, and fall down the stairs. Then we kind of forgot about it, even though he's been capable of going up and down stairs by himself for a long time.

As soon as my husband attached the gate to the playroom doorway, Kieran crawled right over to it and started shaking the bars like the little monkey he is. He kept turning to me with an expression that seemed to say, 'Mommy, what is this? Why is it here? Why can't I get out?' It was hilarious. Eventually he realized that Soren and I were having a lot of fun, so he crawled over to join us. I am amazed by both of them. Kieran wants to do everything Soren does. I think that's one of the reasons Kieran started crawling at 7 months and is now almost pulling himself up to stand. That's a lot earlier than Soren did it. It's unbelievable how different to brothers can be. Of course, I assumed they would be different. They have completely unique DNA. They aren't twins. Why would they be the same? Still, as a mother, I cannot help but ask, 'Did Soren do this? Why is Kieran not doing what Soren did, at exactly the same time that he did it? Kieran is making a lot of sounds that Soren wasn't making at this age. Does that mean Kieran will talk before Soren did?'

The answer to all of the above questions is, 'What difference does it make??' Everyone learns, grows and develops at his or her own pace. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses that are innate. It is my job to recognize the strengths and encourage them to work on their weaknesses. My job is to get out of the way sometimes and let them explore and discover things for themselves when THEY are ready. Parenting involves more observation than direction. It is from the observations that we find our direction. This doesn't mean I simply sit back and watch my kids go crazy. It means I design a safe, interesting and stimulating learning environment where they have lots of good choices. Then I sit back to see what they'll do. Sometimes they want me to engage, sometimes they don't need or want me to be involved. I have to know how involved I should be at any given time. That is challenging, but gets easier with practice.

So, if you get to have an 'Easy Sunday Morning', enjoy it. If you get to have a busy day with your children, enjoy that, too! I know I will. Morning nap time is almost here...

Comments

Popular Posts