The Bunbury Music Festival

I'm sure you saw this title and thought, 'What does a music festival have to do with 'Familiar Ideas for New Families'? Well, I'll tell you. My husband, Bill Donabedian, is the creator, owner, producer and president of The Bunbury Music Festival in Cincinnati, OH. It is, without a doubt, the best Alternative/Indie festival in the Midwest.

My husband is an entrepreneur in every sense of the word. He does his best when left to his own devices. This is a rare thing. He created the MidPoint Music Festival in 2002 with his partner, Sean Rhiney. When Bill and I got together the second time, MidPoint was in it's 4th year and had developed quite a following among unsigned bands. He and Sean sold MidPoint in 2008. Even then, Bill talked about doing another festival one day. A festival that would be the step after MidPoint. One that would embrace the artists just about to become really big, but that were still a bit new and undiscovered by the mainstream audience.

We went to a play that a couple of our nieces and nephews were in. The year was 2010 and the play was 'The Importance of Being Ernest' by Oscar Wilde. Bill was trying to come up with a name for the festival idea in his head. In the play, the protagonist uses an imaginary friend, named 'Bunbury', as an excuse to get out of doing things he doesn't want to do. It was perfect. People in Cincinnati are always bitching that there aren't enough fun things to do. Bunbury is your excuse to get out of doing something boring. It is your reason for 'FUN' (who just happen to be headlining on Friday night this year).

Bill then asked me to help him come up with an animal or mascot for Bunbury. I'm alliterative, by nature, so I said, 'It's a bee. A bumble bee.' To this day, he does not want to give me credit for this idea, but I am telling you, it was MINE! Regardless, though, the Bunbury Bee now appears all over Cincinnati and is a reminder that my husband is one of the coolest people on the planet.

When he decided to quit his steady, secure, soul-sucking job working for Cincinnati's 3CDC as the Managing Director of Fountain Square, I said, 'DO IT!' He quit and we haven't looked back. The festival has become a thriving, exciting, must-do event in only 2 years. If you haven't heard about it, click on this link:
Bunbury Festival And buy your tickets now!

Comments

Popular Posts