Happy Birthday to ME!

It's turning out to be a lovely morning, even if it did start at 4:45AM. To be fair, my husband did get up with the baby, but I just couldn't sleep through all the 'talking'. Kieran is extremely vocal! Growling, squeaking, 'nanana, babababa, dadada, yayaya, mamamam'. It's a constant stream of interesting, LOUD sounds. I have no idea where he gets it. I'm very shy and reserved, as is my husband. (That was complete and total sarcasm, for those of you who don't know me.)

My Soren woke up at around 6:00 AM, which is his usual time. My husband went up to get him. He came downstairs to the kitchen and immediately said, 'Happy Birthday, Mom!' This was followed directly by, 'Daddy and I are going to go to the bakery downtown to get you some pink cupcakes because pink cupcakes are my favorite.' I said that would be lovely, but could I please have a chocolate one? 'No, we're getting pink.'

Okay! I guess I need pink cupcakes on my 37th birthday. I had a pink cake on my 6th birthday. It had roses and came from a real bakery. It was my first real bakery birthday cake. I begged for it. All that pink frosting looked amazing and all of my friends loved it. I ate the cake, but left the frosting. It was way too sweet for me and I would have preferred the sheet cake that my mom usually made. You live, you learn.

Now, I make everybody's birthday cakes or cupcakes from scratch. Soren and I usually do it together and he helps measure, stir and taste. He's also my official vanilla smeller. Soren usually wants blue or green cupcakes for his birthday. My husband requests angel food cake with chocolate icing. I made a lavender layer cake for my mom's birthday one year. I wonder what I'll make for Kieran in September for his first birthday... I never thought I would be the type to bake, but I find that I absolutely love both the process and the results! I also love trying different techniques and perfecting flavors. It's another hobby now.

I guess that leads back to the idea that, no matter how old we are, we can learn new things and develop new interests. Cooking and baking have become passions of mine. That doesn't mean I don't still have my old passions. I still love playing music, listening to music, reading books, watching movies, swimming and hanging out with people I love. I can do most of those things with my children, but I can also do them ALONE! Alone time is so important. I've always craved a great deal of time to myself. I don't get as much as I did before I had children, but I do get enough. My husband takes both boys on adventures so I can be by myself. My parents and in-laws take the kids regularly. I go out by myself and with my husband or friends pretty regularly, too, at least in the last couple of months... Before that, I was glued to my house.

Well, now it's time for the baby to wake up. We will finish getting ready and then it's off to my birthday lunch at an old, Cincinnati favorite. LaRosa's Pizza! I can't wait!

Comments

Popular Posts