At the Cincinnati Zoo with a Couple of Monkeys

It was a gorgeous day at the Cincinnati Zoo yesterday.  We have a family membership and we live about five minutes away, so we really get our money's worth.  It's such a great way to spend a morning and we don't have to feel guilty if someone has an issue and needs to leave after only an hour.   However, yesterday, we stayed for almost four hours.  We had lunch, rode the train, played in the Children's Zoo and saw all of our favorite exhibits without incident.  We are on the train in the picture above and it was Kieran's first time.  He loved it and was very happy to sit with me checking everything out.  The lady in the seat in front of us was kind enough to take our picture.

Today was a very different kind of day.  Soren was grounded, for the first time in his life, due to the tantrum he threw last night at bedtime.  We didn't get to go to the pool and he was not allowed to watch any of his 'kid shows' or play any games on the iPad.  He also had to take a nap.  It went surprisingly well and I think I will have many more TV and iPad free days in the future.  He quickly understood that I wasn't changing my mind, so he found other things to do.  We did puzzles, worked on counting, writing and letter sounds.  We read books.  We played quiet games.  I actually enjoyed the peace and quiet a lot more than I thought I would.  Soren was very focused and I realized this was because there were no distractions or interruptions.  It was like school, but better.

I am now, more than ever, convinced that my decision to homeschool is the right thing to do.  Also, because I stuck to my guns, Soren seems to have new respect for me.  This was respect not based on fear, but on consistency.  I didn't have to yell, negotiate or beg.  I remained firm, but in control.  He responded very well.  He went to bed without any issues and still gave me all kinds of hugs and kisses.  He still loves me and has more respect for me.  The two really go hand in hand.  Once again, I've learned a valuable lesson about parenting.  It's a journey...

Comments

Popular Posts