Growth

It has been about a year and a half since my last blog post.  My last post was about Soren, my older son, starting Taekwondo.  He said he would never quit.  So far, he's honoring that commitment.  He is now a blue belt and a member of the Black Belt Club, which includes weapons training.  He's only four belts away from his black belt. 

He has taken to this martial art like a duck to water.  He's focused.  He's determined.  He LOVES it.  That's the most important part.  He's not doing it because I thought it would be a good idea.  He's doing it because HE thinks it's important.  My husband and I have supported him at every step, but he's doing the work.  He goes to every class, unless he's sick or we're out of town.  He's achieved the next belt at every opportunity, even taking advantage of an accelerated camp over the summer.  He doesn't wine about going to class.  He's prepared and ready to work, even on the days when I would rather stay home and just go to the next class.  Luckily, my husband usually takes him to class.  They meet four times per week.  It's a significant time commitment for the entire family.

We all go to see him do his tests.  We all congratulate him when he earns a new belt or patch.  Soren even teaches his little brother how to do the kicks, strikes and forms.  Sometimes he teaches his friends while they're playing outside.  Soren says that he will get his black belt in no more than two years.  Then he will become a Master.  Then he will teach at his school, when he's old enough.

He has a plan.  He's executing that plan.  This dream transformed into a goal and then became a plan.  He's staying the course.  This is a sign of maturity, determination, discipline and passion.  He is eight years old, going on 45. 

I often look at my son and think, 'How did we get here?  How did you become this thoughtful, determined, curious and serious individual.  Were you always that way?  Did I have any hand in that?'  I'm so proud of him, but I can't take any credit for his achievements.  They are his, and his alone.  My husband and I are his guides, but we can't do the work for him.

Taekwondo is one example of the growth that our family is experiencing.  It is only one, but it is a metaphor for the changes that are happening.  I respect and admire my son.  The student becomes the teacher, and then becomes the student again.  It is a beautiful thing.

Comments

Popular Posts