The Moon's Name Is Jeff

Soren just told me more about his 'friend the moon'.  I knew that the moon visits him when it's full.  I knew that the moon's voice sounds like my father's.  I knew that the moon talks to Soren and they play together, but only when it is full.

This morning I learned that the moon's name is Jeff.  Jeff Pauly-Paul Moon, is his full name.  Last night, the moon was a Snow Moon.  It was a Full Snow Moon with a penumbral lunar eclipse.  There was also a comet that was visible in North America, but I missed that.  It was a green comet.  Soren's favorite color is green.

The eclipse happened while we were driving home from the movies.  We didn't know it was happening, so we missed that part.  However, when we got off at our exit, we suddenly saw the Full Snow Moon.  It was truly one of the most breathtaking sights I've ever seen.  It was as bright as a spotlight.  It was soft around the edges because of all the clouds.  The clouds made the moon look like it had two golden rings around it.  Absolutely gorgeous.  I took some pictures with my phone when we got home, but they didn't do it justice.

We stood outside in the driveway looking at that gorgeous moon for a little while.  Then we went in to get ready for bed.  Soren was particularly excited about taking his shower and going to bed because that's when he can talk to the moon.  He was waiting for midnight to come, so that the moon would shrink down and come into his room.

Apparently this is what the full moon does, every single month.  It shrinks down to the size of Soren.  Then it comes in and shape shifts so that it will match Soren's body.  It's still made of moon rock and it still glows softly.

Soren and the Moon talk about many things.  They also play.  The moon gives Soren magical potions that make him invisible.  The potion also silences their voices and any sounds they make.  Then they go downstairs to the basement to play.  They play and talk through the night.  When it's time to wake up, the
Moon puts Soren back to bed and resumes his place in the night sky.

Jeff Pauly-Paul moon is a very good friend to Soren.  I'm not privy to the games they play or the conversations they have.   Soren insists that I'm not allowed to know about that part because it's a secret.  He did say that's okay for me to write about the things I've told him.  He said that Jeff told him it's okay.  

Soren promises that he's not making this up.  That's okay.  He needs this right now.  He enjoys this story.  He isn't frightened or anxious about the Jeff.  He is comforted by their relationship.

Soren has an interesting imagination.  He often uses it in real life.  He also understands the difference between fantasy and reality.  That's why I'm not worried about this 'friend'.  I know he's just exercising his beautiful mind.  He's exploring ideas and what it means to have and be a friend.  These are wonderful exercises.  He uses these ideas in his real relationships.  He has many good friends, both old and new.  He is very close to his brother and our extended family.  I'm not worried that he doesn't have enough friends or that he doesn't get to socialize enough.  He does.

I'm not going to take him to a shrink or a priest, as some people might.  He doesn't need a shrink or a priest.  He just needs the moon, right now.  He has a loving family, good friends and the moon.

Comments

Popular Posts