Change the Story!

I woke up feeling awful this morning.  I drank too much wine at a party last night.  I actually drank the same amount that I used to drink, before I started getting healthy.  My body is mad at me.  Deep breath.  Drink lots of water.  Have a cup of coffee.  Eat a little bit.

I feel yucky because I drank too much.  I'm dehydrated.  Fine.  That's the truth.  Now, what do I need to do about it?  Should I give up on my workout today?  Nope.  Should I fall into old patterns and eat greasy food and lay on the couch?  Hell, no!  I'm going to finish my coffee, write this blog and get ready for the day.  I have to change the story.

The stories we tell ourselves are crucial and have dramatic impact on our lives.  If we tell ourselves that we're fat and lazy, then we will be fat and lazy.  If we tell ourselves that we're healthy and in charge of our own bodies, we will be healthy and in charge.

I'm comfortable with being in charge of my children, but they aren't the ones who need help making good choices for their bodies.  They get plenty of exercise.  They eat when they're hungry, stop when they're full and rest when they're tired.  I'm the one who has a hard time with that.  So, I'm changing the story.  

I don't have a hard time with that.  I've been making healthy choices for two weeks. I've lost 11 pounds.  I've exercised four times per week.  I will work out today.  I will make healthy choices and get back on the horse.  One night out will not send me back into the unhealthy spiral.  Get to work!

Comments

Popular Posts