Know Your Audience

We communicate every day.  We talk, listen, post on social media, read and write.  We are bombarded with information, opinions and noise.  I feel compelled to respond to some things and often do.

How much time do I waste responding to people that really don't care about what I think?  A LOT.  That needs to change.  I have better things to do with my time.  I'm writing a play, writing this blog, teaching my kids, teaching at school, cooking, cleaning... I have plenty of important things to do.

And, yet, I argue with people that I've never met.  I write to other bloggers when I like their work.  I chat with other moms about mom stuff.  I call my parents.  I call my grandmother.  I text my friends.

I go through times when I don't do much of that.  Right now, it's the opposite.  I'm doing TOO much of that.  I need to know my audience.  Sometimes I wear people out with too much conversation.  Sometimes my blogs are way too long!!

So, in the interest of brevity, I will simply say that knowing your audience may be the most important thing in effective communication.  This goes for communicating with kids, spouses, teachers, employees, neighbors, friends, bosses, etc.  If we bombard people with every detail of every story of our lives, they will shut down.  If we choose our message, stay on point and then listen, we might actually accomplish something.


Comments

Popular Posts