Burpees and Lunges and Squats! OH, MY!

Today was my first day with a personal trainer at my new gym.  Roger kicked my butt all over that place.  He showed me the machines, introduced me to the stuff I didn't know about and invited me to join his circuit class after my cardio. 

I was nervous about the class, but I did it.  I didn't just get through it.  I did every single thing he told us to do.  I did things I've never done before.  I did burpees!  That's right!  All 250 pounds of me did burpees.  I did lunges, squats, weights and arm work.  I did legs, abs, core and more.  I can feel every muscle in my body.  My blood is coursing through my veins.  I feel like I could do anything.  Well, anything except walk up the stairs.  

This was such an empowering experience.  I told Roger that I was afraid to jump because I've had weak knees since I was a kid.  He said, 'OK, but I think you can jump a little.'  So, I tried, just to prove him wrong.  Guess who was wrong.  Me.  I jumped.  Yes, my boobs bounced up and down a lot.  So?  No one was looking at me.  No one was judging me.  They were all too busy trying to get through the workout.  They were in the zone.  

We were all in the zone.  Then, an amazing thing happened.  I got confident.  I started moving the weights up until my arms were burning.  I started adding more to the ab machines.  I added more to the leg machines.  The women who were behind me in the circuit started asking why the weights were so high.  One lady said, 'Elise, did you actually do this!?  How are you doing this?!'

That's when I realized something.  I'm strong.  I'm very strong.  There's nothing wrong with my body.  I'm healthy.  The only thing I need to do is continue on this path and never, ever stop.  I was dripping sweat all over the place.  I was shaking when I finished.  I thought I might barf, but I didn't.  Roger, the trainer, gave me a high five and said I surprised him.  He said he knows he can push me harder on Monday.  I said, 'BRING IT!' 

Now, it's time for school. My boys are ready to learn, and I'm more than ready to take a break from the physical and move into the mental.  Let's get to work!

Comments

Popular Posts