Auntie Fun!

Our family went to Florida about a month ago.  We got to stay in my in-laws' condo, where they live for the winters.  So, we packed up and got on a plane.  My husband was sick with the cold that the boys had before Christmas.  Once we got to the condo, he basically stayed in bed for a few days.  I took care of the boys, went to the grocery store and generally just tried to help everyone feel better.

As soon as Bill was feeling better, I got sick.  He took care of the boys, did the work he needed to do and I stayed in bed for a while.  Right when I was starting to feel better, I invited Bill's Aunt Carol to join us at the condo.  She accepted our invitation and said, 'Auntie Fun is coming!'

She hopped a flight a few days later and brought the sunshine with her!  She really did.  It had been cold, windy and rainy until Carol showed up.  The day she arrived, we finally got to the upper seventies and we were all feeling a lot better.  When she walked in with her golden hair, tan skin Steeler's shirt, I couldn't help but feel happy and relieved!

Carol is truly fun.  Her life hasn't been all sunshine and roses, but she finds the humor in everything.  She's an optimist.  She LOVES our boys, her great nephews.  The feeling is mutual.  So, she took the boys on adventures.  She took us all out to dinner.  She took the boys on a 'date' so that Bill and I could go on a date of our own.  She promised she 'couldn't hear a thing' from the living room (right next to the master bedroom) where she was sleeping.  Bill was mortified, but I thought it was absolutely hilarious.

However, the best gift that Carol gave to me was taking me to Beach Yoga.  She went by herself on the first day.  She told me how amazing it is and how everybody is old and nobody judges.  So, I decided to join her.  It was absolutely beautiful.  For the first time in a very long time, I slowed down and focused on how my body was feeling.  I went three more times after that.  I even went by myself, after she left.  It was such a wonderful way to start the day.  After yoga, we walked on the beach and talked about life, with a capital 'L'.

That was the beginning.  That was the turning point.  We talked about how it gets harder to work on your health as you get older.  I'm only forty.  She's a bit older.  She's in fantastic shape.  A lot of the older people on that beach were in fantastic shape.  They were strong and flexible.  I was in awe.  I'm used to seeing old people who are shuffling around and unable to be active.

I take that back.  My Grammy is 93 and she isn't shuffling around.  She doesn't move as quickly as she used to, but she's still moving.  Most people don't even get to be 93, so she wins.

Nancy is only 77, but she is active and flexible.  My father is 67 and he is strong and in great shape.  He moves like a much younger man.  If you saw him playing with my boys, from behind, you would guess he was in his 50's.  My husband also looks and moves like a much younger man.

So, Auntie Fun was able to invite me to focus on my health.  She was my catalyst.  She did it with me and we laughed together.  We were honest with each other.  She made me feel comfortable and loved.  She didn't say, 'God, Elise, why are you so lazy and fat?!'  She said, 'Elise, beach yoga will feel so good!  Wanna come with me?'

Thank you, Carol.  You started something really good.  I'm very grateful.

Comments

Popular Posts