Words and Music

Good morning.  It's another cool, lovely day in Milford, Ohio.  It's 50 degrees and the sun isn't even up yet.  The weather people say it will get to 70 degrees this afternoon.  It's February!  This is not normal, but I'll take it!

The birds are singing away.  I love the sound of birds in the morning.  They're so happy that I don't mind if everyone in my house is still sleeping.  My house is comfortable and quiet.  I have my coffee and my writing.

The words usually come quickly at this time of day.  The music is next.  That's really how I've always approached my life.  Ever since my mother gave me my first journal, when I was eight years old, I've been writing prolifically.  Then, my parents gave me a flute when I was nine.  The music was something I needed, but didn't even know how much, until they gave me that gift.

It's very appropriate.  As I worked on my screenplay last night, I thought about how the music always comes first for me.  Music is a close second.  I have never written a song on my own.  I've tried.  I start with lyrics, but the melody eludes me.  My husband can go the other way.  He gets a tune in his head, plays it, writes it and then tries to find words to fit.  I've helped him with that, on occasion.  He is an amazing song writer and understands the art of arranging.  It blows me away.

That's why I was so thrilled to figure out what music I need for my screenplay.  It hit me like a bolt of lightning, after watching some family videos that my father has uploaded to our family blog.  I suggested that he use the song 'Always' for the movies my grandmother shot.  My Granny and Grandpa said that was 'their song' and talked about the fact that marriage truly means 'always'.

That made me think about the songs that Bill and I consider to be 'ours'.  There are three.  I decided that 'At Last' was ours when we first got back together, in 2006,  and heard it playing at our favorite restaurant.  Bill agreed.  Then, he played a beautiful song by a very talented local artist when he proposed to me.  That is our song, too.  After we were engaged, a friend of ours gave us the soundtrack to 'Once'.  'Falling Slowly' became our third song.

As I thought about the proposal song and played it over and over for my boys, I realized that it had to be included in the soundtrack for the movie.  I immediately reached out to Ashley, who actually married Bill and I, and allowed another band to play his music.  Ashley got right back to me and we then spoke on the phone for well over an hour.   He is in.  He understands and appreciates my story and was honored that I want to use his music.  We came to an understanding and verbal agreement.  The contract will be forthcoming, but his generosity goes beyond normal, human capacity.

I hope he knows how incredibly validating that conversation was.  I hope he knows how grateful Bill and I are.  He's given us the gift of his music, which is really the gift of himself.  He's the only one, outside of my immediate circle, who knows the details about the movie script.  To have a friend that we haven't seen in over eight years, say, 'Yes, I get it and I would be thrilled to work with you on this project!' is the most validating experience.

I've never worked with someone on something artistic.  I've never created something and then collaborated with another artist.  I always thought I had to do it alone.  Wrong!  Other people have gifts that I don't possess.  They can see things that I don't see.  They offer a totally fresh perspective, but one that speaks to my soul.

Time to get to work, now!  The boys are waking up...

Comments

Popular Posts