Just Make a Movie

Here's the problem.  I have over 200 pages of a novel sitting on my cloud.  I wrote it.  It's not finished.  It's not good enough.  It's a good idea, but it isn't what it needs to be yet.  The story doesn't have an ending.  It only has a beginning and a VERY long middle.  It's mostly conversations, because that's how I think.  I write the way I talk and I talk the way I write.  I type almost as fast as I think, but not quite, which can be very frustrating.

The solution came to me this evening, as so many solutions do.  I was talking with my husband.  We were getting ready for bed.  That's when it hit me like the bolt of lightening that it is.  My novel isn't a novel.  It's a movie script!  Then, like most good ideas, I thought, 'DUH!  Why didn't I think of that last year (when I felt blocked and like I never wanted to finish the book at all because I hate editing.)'

My husband was brushing his teeth in the bathroom.  When he came in and turned out the light, I said, "I want to tell you about an idea that I just had and you can tell me if it sounds stupid or insane."

He laughed.  "Ok."

I told him.  I told him that I want my book to be a movie and that I want my dad to help me turn it into one, somehow.  He's such a visual person and has an amazing background in TV, film and video production.  He has a REAL resume in all of those things.

Bill didn't laugh.  He didn't tell me that I was being crazy or that my idea was stupid.  He said, "Great!  Do it!"

But I wasn't finished.  Movies need music, too.  They also need directors, actors and lots of other people.  Bill has his own production company that is named after me and our boys.  I asked him to be the producer.  That's what he is.  He has a REAL resume, too.  He agreed to help me in any way that he can.  That's what he always does.  I said he could write the music, too.

"Sure.  I can do that."

He didn't say, 'Oh, my God, Elise.  It's late and you're talking a mile a minute and I'm tired and we need to go to sleep.  He said, "Yes."

That's when I knew it could happen.  That's when it moved from a fantasy to a real idea.  It's already more than an idea.  I've already asked my dad to join us.  It's a project.  The script is so close to being finished.  I have work to do.  There will be a lot of work for other people to do, too.

Is it possible?  The funny thing about possibility is that, if you can see it, it's real.  A real possibility is huge.  It can absolutely change your life.  A few days ago, when I told Soren that I was having a hard time editing my book and that I didn't know what to do with it or how to edit it into something anyone would ever want to read, he said:

"Well, why don't you just make a movie instead?  Movies are easier."  He's kind of right.  Making a movie can't be easy, unless you know the right people and have access to financial resources, etc.  However, the story will work better as a movie.  I just have the right story, but the wrong medium.  I need media, the plural form.  I need some help!

Thanks, Soren.  I think I will 'just make a movie'.


Comments

Popular Posts