My Tummy Tells Me

This title might sound like a child's words, but they belong to my husband.  He always says that his tummy tells him things.  His tummy tells him when he shouldn't have another glass of wine.  His tummy tells him when to stop eating.  His tummy tells him when he's in a bad situation.  His tummy tells him when he's about to make a bad decision.  He listens to his tummy.  That's why he eats and drinks moderately.  That's why he doesn't get himself into dangerous predicaments.  That's why he can run marathons and not hurt himself.  That's why he's able to take huge professional risks and still provide for our family very well.

I used to laugh when he said that.  I've been ignoring my tummy, both literally and figuratively for so many years. However, for the last month, I've realized that there is a little voice telling me things.  I've just been ignoring it.  There's a voice that says, 'Turn off the TV and get moving.'  There's a voice that says, 'I know you don't feel good today, but yoga will make you feel better.'  There's a voice that says, 'You don't need to eat more right now.  You need to play music, sing, write or dance.'

In the past, I would get angry with that voice and say, 'Shut up!  You don't know what you're talking about!  I don't have to do anything I don't want to do!  You don't know how hard it is!  You don't understand!  It's different for me.'

I was at war with myself.  I was fighting my good instincts and letting the scared, overwhelmed and sad feelings take over.  No more.  That's enough.

So, today, even though I don't feel very well, for various reasons, I will write this post.  Then I will make breakfast for my boys.  After breakfast, we will go for a walk in the rain.  We love rain.  Splashing in puddles and feeling the cool drops on our faces.  We will walk, faster and faster.  Maybe I'll even run to catch up with my little boys.  When we get home, I will do my yoga.

I know those things will make me feel better.  Then, I'll be ready to get the laundry finished, pack for our trip and plan for the beautiful alone time that my husband and I will have.  Today is going to be a good, productive day.

Get to work!

Comments

Popular Posts