What Do You Need?

As parents, we ask this question many times a day.  We ask our children, 'What do you need?'  When was the last time you asked yourself, 'What do I need?'

Maybe it was a very long time ago.  Maybe it was today.  Either way, when you ask yourself, do you have an answer?  I do.  Here's my list.

1.  I need myself.
2.  I need food.
3.  I need water.
4.  I need air.
5.  I need a home.

That's all.  That's what I need to be happy.  I have all of the things on that list.  I have enough.  I'm enough.  Say it with me:  "I am enough!  I have enough!  I have everything I need."

Now, if you don't feel that you have everything you need to be happy, or you're just not happy right now, take a breath and think about whether you need more things or just WANT more things.  I have things I want, too!

1.  I want to be a homeschooling mom.
2.  I want to spend enough time with my children.
3.  I want to spend enough time with my husband.
4.  I want to spend time with my friends.
5.  I want to take care of my home.
6.  I want to take care of my health.
7.  I want to meet new people and learn new things.
8.  I want to teach other people the things that I've learned.
9.  I want to write.
10.  I want to finish my screen play.
11.  I want to lose 100 pounds.

That's a longer list.  I'm doing all of the things on that list.  Whew.  I guess I have what I need and what I want.  Wow.  That's powerful.  Do you have what you need and what you want?  If you don't (and I've been there, too) what do you need to do to get what you need and some of what you want?  Focus on what you need first.  The things that you don't think you could live without, right now.  If you have what you need (and you do) then you can be happy.  You might not realize it, but if you have yourself and you're alive, then you have what you need.

In case you didn't notice, the 'things' on my 'NEED' list are not THINGS, except for the home, food, water and air.  The rest are people or activities.  We can't control other people or even other things, sometimes.  Homes change.  People change.  Bad things happen.  Some people don't have enough food, water, clean air or a home to live in.  I have tremendous empathy for those people.  I know how I have felt when I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to acquire those things.  However, I have never been hungry, thirsty, homeless... or lived in a vacuum without air.

The things on my 'wants' list are not things, either.  They are about stuff I want to do.  That can change and often does.  I've wanted to do those things for quite a while.  I've been doing some of them for years.  I've been doing others for a day.  I have more things I want to do, as well.

Think about what you need and what you want, if you have a moment.  Do not include the things that you think others need or want from you.  You already know those things.  Those things aren't relevant right now.  Have a cup of coffee, tea or water.  Think about you.  It's more important than anything else.




Comments

Popular Posts