The Stigma of Mental Illness

Pain is real.  It's necessary.  As human beings, we experience both physical and emotional pain.  We avoid it, if we can.  Sometimes we can't.  We get sick.  We get hurt.  We heal.  We move forward.

Emotional pain is real, too.  It's different, though.  The way we experience emotional pain is very personal.  Other people can't see our wounds.  They don't understand what's wrong.  They might get it, if we tell them, but sometimes we don't want to.

If we tell people about our emotional scars or painful experiences, does that make us weak?  I don't think so.  It's actually the same as telling them that we broke our arm or had the flu.  Do we dismiss physical pain?  No.  If someone tells me that they have cancer, I have tremendous sympathy.  I try to help, if I can.  However, if someone tells us that they are depressed, upset or lonely, do we react in the same way?  If someone tells us that their mind is failing them in some way, or that their love has disappointed them, what can we do?  Not much.  So we ignore it.  We say, 'You'll be fine.  Just get back out there!  Go to work and deal with it!'

Well, maybe we're a little more sympathetic, but I would bet that we're not as understanding about emotional pain as we are with physical pain.  There's a stigma about mental illness, of any kind.  That's because you can't see mental illness.  The wounds aren't obvious or exposed.  You can look 'normal' on the outside, and feel like the world is coming to an end on the inside.

Here's my advice.  If you feel like your world is ending or that you just don't care about anything anymore, talk to someone.  Tell someone.  Get some help.  Go to your family, friend, priest or counselor.  It really doesn't matter where you go.  Just find someone to listen who might be able to point you in a new direction.  Don't take drugs.  Don't use alcohol to numb the pain.

Talk.  Think.  Write.  Exercise.  Sleep.  Eat healthy food.  Those things will help you.  Keep yourself on a schedule, when it comes to eating, sleeping and exercising.  Find exercise that you LOVE to do.  Walking, running, biking, swimming, yoga, etc.  I love swimming, walking and yoga. I'm learning to love strength training.  If I can do those things outside, all the better.

If you still need help, and are afraid to talk about it, go see your doctor.  Don't let him simply prescribe an antidepressant, even if it seems like an easy fix.  Ask for a referral to a good psychiatrist, especially if medication is involved.  I've been down the medication path.  It didn't work.  The only thing that worked for me was learning how to live in my own skin, with my brain and my experiences and everything that goes with it.  When I start to feel down, I do something productive.  I write.  I move my body and eat well.  I make sure I get at least seven hours of sleep, but no more than eight.  I talk to my husband.  I play with my kids.  That's been working for the last twelve years.  You have to find what will work for you.  Please know that you are not alone.

I hope this helps.


Comments

Popular Posts