Above the Noise

We live in a noisy world.  It's loud.  It's intrusive.  It's always on.

Or, is it?  Can we turn it off?  Can we silence our phones, turn off our computers and TVs?  Can we stop talking?  Can we go to a quiet room with no distractions?

Sometimes we can't.  We have jobs, families, friends and people who count on us.  We have to communicate and we have to listen.  Sometimes.  Not all the time.  We have to sleep.  We have to have some quiet in our days.

The more quiet time I allow myself to have, the better I feel.  When I turn off the TV, the computer and my phone, I can just be.  I turn off the lights.  I lie down on my bed.  I put some oils in my diffuser.  Then I just close my eyes.  I breathe.  I let myself think, or not.  If I can't stop thinking, then I simply focus on breathing.  I think, 'I'm breathing in.  I'm breathing out.'  Eventually, the thoughts stop and I can just 'be'.

At first, I could only take a few minutes of this.  It was that hard for me to be quiet.  Now, I can go for thirty minutes.  It sound funny, but it really does take some endurance to build up to being so quiet.

Eventually, it works.  The noise will stop.  The quiet will come in.  You can get above the noise.  It's beautiful up here.  Come on up.  Just make sure to close the door behind you.  And, remember, no cell phones, computers or talking of any kind.  You're going to love this.

Comments

Popular Posts