Vinegar and Baking Soda

I will completely admit to being very skeptical about cleaning with vinegar and baking soda.  I used to think vinegar was just for cooking and I used baking soda for, well, baking.  However, when you get into the 'real food' thing, you can't help but learn that there are many other things you can make at home.  Cleaning supplies and personal care products are just the beginning!  There's really not much we 'need' to buy at the grocery store.  Also, I figure I need to offset the dramatic increase in our food budget of late, due to the organic produce, grass-fed beef and milk, etc.

The other catalyst was that my baby just got his first intestinal virus and is miserable.  I've been trying to keep his toys and surface areas clean, without adding harsh chemicals to things he's going to put in his mouth.  Vinegar is the answer.  A white vinegar and water solution can be sprayed on anything to disinfect and clean the surface.  Also, because he got quite a nasty case of diaper rash, I learned not to put the usual diaper cream (with zinc oxide) on it.  Instead, I washed his little bottom in a bath of warm water and baking soda.  The baking soda helped clean, as well as soothe, his irritated bottom.  It also neutralizes the pH balance of his skin.  He stopped crying as soon as I put him in that bath.  I let him play for as long as he was happy because, um, he was happy!  Even the baby wipes that I buy are too harsh for him right now.  A washcloth works, with noting but warm water and a little baking soda.

So, why in the world would I continue to spend a fortune on cleaning supplies and personal care products when these inexpensive, gentle ingredients work even better??  I won't!  Also, if you're looking for more ways to use white vinegar and baking soda, check out these links:

23 Ingenious Uses for White Vinegar
51 Fantastic Uses for Baking Soda

Comments

Popular Posts