Trash Bag Space Suit

Soren and I were watching TV the other day and one of the characters on this particular 'kid show' was wearing a space suit.  Soren immediately said, 'I wish I had a space suit like that!  I want to be an astronaut!  Can we buy a space suit?'  To this, I said, 'No!  But we can make one!'  His eyes lit up.  'How do you make a space suit?'

Oh, um, I don't know... So, I started thinking about the materials that were available to me.  The space suit on TV was white.  Our kitchen trash bags are white.  I grabbed two of them.  I used the draw string part as the waistband for some pants.  I cut out holes for the feet and then cut up the middle to form the legs.  I made the pant seams with stickers.  Then I took the other bag, cut holes out for his head and arms and again used the draw string for his waistband.  He was so happy, but then said, 'Mom, I really need a helmet.  Space helmets are round like circles and they go on your head.'  

Yep, they surely do.  Crap.  What the heck can I use for a helmet?  Oh, of course, a stainless steel mixing bowl!  YES!  

Now, does this actually look anything like a space suit?  Absolutely not.  Does that matter?  Absolutely NOT!  We were both laughing hysterically as he looked at himself in the mirror.  He left it on for all of twenty minutes and then wanted it off.  That's exactly what would have happened if I spent $40 on a costume from the store, too.  This was so much more fun and all it cost me was two trash bags, a little creativity and my time.  All worthy investments.  

  

Comments

Popular Posts