Dad's Turn for Swimming Lessons!

I'm enjoying a rare moment of peace this morning.  My husband took Soren to his swimming lesson because I'm a bit under the weather.  My baby is taking his morning nap and the house is very quiet.  It's absolutely blissful.  I was going to just skip Soren's swimming lesson so as not to take my germs to the entire YMCA, but Bill said he would be happy to take him.  This is the part I love about Bill working from home.  He has some flexibility and he doesn't mind pitching in on a weekday, if he doesn't have other meetings scheduled.  It was a very nice surprise.

I try really hard not to take advantage of the fact that Bill works from home.  Usually, he goes up to his office at around 7:30.  He comes down to run out to meetings and sometimes joins us for lunch.  Then he goes back up to the office until dinner time.  I really think that's the only way it can work.  Soren knows that Daddy is off limits during weekdays.  If Bill's in his office, we don't disturb him.  There have to be boundaries.  Otherwise it would be too easy for him to get distracted.  If I let Soren run up there to see Bill whenever he wanted to, Bill would get nothing done.  If I called for Bill's help every time it would be convenient for me, I would be taking advantage.  So, I pretend he's not here.  That way, I get to be pleasantly surprised when he offers to take Soren somewhere or to watch Kieran while I take a shower.  It's working pretty well, so far.

Bill has been self-employed for about two years.  Soren doesn't remember things being any different.  I love that.  He doesn't remember when Bill hated his hob and had to drag himself to work every day. Soren sees his dad as a guy who knows what he wants and works really hard to make it happen.  Soren gets to experience the work his dad does on a level that most kids don't get to see.

I remember going to work with my dad a few times when he had to go in on a weekend.  I also remember going to 'Take Your Daughter To Work Day' when I was in high school.  My dad worked for Procter & Gamble in those days and I was extremely proud of him, but I really didn't have a clue about what he did all day.  He talked about meetings and being a manager, but those are pretty tough concepts for kids to grasp.  I knew he wore a suit.  I knew he was in charge of a lot of people.  I knew he went downtown to a big building where he did important stuff.  I also knew that people liked and respected him.  Those are all wonderful things to know about your dad.

My kids get to take it a step further.  They get to see the Bunbury Music Festival and know that their dad created it, produces it and is in charge of every single thing that happens during those three days, and all the days that lead up to it.  It's a bit more tangible.  They have the opportunity to learn so much about business and, more importantly, about their father.

Comments

Popular Posts