You're on Fire?!

We have a fire going in our fireplace this morning because it's gotten very chilly in Cincinnati.  Fall is definitely upon us and the crisp air is the first glimpse of the season truly changing.  I've always loved fall best.  It's my favorite time of year.  The heat and humidity are replaced by cool breezes and I can't wait to be outside watching the leaves put on their dresses of red and gold.  My husband and I got married in the fall, as it happens to be his favorite season, too.  He loves football and being bundled up in a cozy sweater and jacket.  He loves comfort food and snuggling up on the couch to watch his favorite team beat the pants off of the other guys.  I love to make chili, chicken soup and all kinds of other warm dishes.  We have different reasons for loving this season, but we love it, nonetheless.

My boys seem to love the fall, too.  They were outside playing for most of the day yesterday, even putting on gloves when their hands got to cold to hold onto the metal swing chains.  They looked hilarious in shorts, sweatshirts, boots and gloves, but their attire was completely appropriate for their environment.  Cincinnati doesn't have a very long fall season, but it is glorious.

So, when my husband came down this morning and I had the fire going, I made hot chocolate for everyone and we all sat down at the table to eat and talk and enjoy the morning.  It was perfect.

We were both talking about the fact that we haven't had a working fireplace for nine years and we really missed it.  Then I joked that 'our love was all the fire we really needed because it's an eternal flame that will burn forever.'  Yes, I'm ridiculous.  However, my son Soren interpreted what I said literally and said, 'Why are you burning in flames?  You're on fire?!'

This made me laugh, but I quickly explained that I was speaking metaphorically and only meant that our love is very strong and will never end.  He seemed relieved.  It made me think of all the things grownups say that kids either hear incorrectly or misinterpret.  For example, when I heard my Irish grandparents say, 'Jesus, Mary and Joseph!' I thought they were saying, 'Jesus marryin' Joseph'.  This was confusing because I knew Jesus wasn't married and I figured he wouldn't marry Joseph, even if he could.  My dad said that, when he was a boy, he thought 'Hale Mary full of grace' was 'Hale Mary, full of grapes.'  Why would she eat so many grapes?  Was she really hungry or did someone dare her to do it?

My sister once thought that the boat were going to go on at Niagra Falls was going to go OVER the falls.  She was four years old.  The really funny part was that she was going to go, even though she was terrified.  She's always been pretty brave.

When we say things to or around children, we do have to pay attention to their reactions and interpretations.  When they get it wrong, it might seem cute, but it's our job to set them straight and explain what we really meant, in a way that they can understand.  We exaggerate, use irony, speak in metaphors, hyperbole and similes.  We understand symbolism and we communicate on a more poetic level.  Soren is starting to get these more complex forms of communication because we talk and read A LOT.  Kieran will get there, too.  My favorite thing in the world is when my boys speak poetically.  Kieran told me he loved my eyes because they are warm and dark.  He said he likes to look into the dark of my eyes.  That's poetry.  My mother remembers when I said, 'Clouds are like Mommy's hair' when I was two years old.  She has the soul of a poet, and I'm pretty sure I do, too.

Poetry comes out of my finger tips and rolls off my tongue in a way that is unpredictable and almost not of my choosing.  I think in rhyme and meter.  It's been that way since I can remember, but I didn't start writing it down until I was 24.  I'm going to share some of those poems with you soon.  I'm compiling a book that I hope you'll enjoy and share with your friends and family.  I've been writing for my family for seventeen years, but I haven't been ready to share my poems until now.  I took the first step yesterday when I sent some work to a published author.  I'm ready for feedback, criticism and the work that will be required to make it better.

My hope is that, one day, my boys will say, 'My mother is an accomplished, published author.'  That would make me so happy.


Comments

Popular Posts