Faith in Humanity Restored!

This was an amazing weekend.  I realize that the word amazing is thrown around too easily these days, but this time it's absolutely appropriate!  Bill and I had dinner with a new couple last night.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that these two people restored my faith in humanity.  Bill has been friends with this guy for years, but they're both very busy people and hadn't had a chance to connect in quite a while.  I'd never met him before, but had heard so many great things.  Neither of us had met his wife before, but we were both interested to see who Ross chose.  Ross was what I expected, and more.  His wife, Markie was a completely unknown entity, so I had no preconceived notions.  Seriously.  She was a delightful surprise.

I may sound like a teenager who just got back from a great first date, but this couple is fantastic!  We had an instant rapport.  We had so much common ground in the realms of politics, philosophy, education, parenting and business.  We sat at the table for over three hours and there was never even one moment of silence.  We even forgot to order our dinner for the first half hour.  We talked about politics, fitness, nutrition, parenting, education, law, business, music and our favorite Netflix shows.  We talked about how we met our other halves and what made us fall in love with each other.  They just got married last month and we got married in the same month, seven years ago.

Well, at the risk of being too enthusiastic, I'm writing this post so that I remember what it feels like to be excited about new friendship.  It hasn't happened in a very long time.  I have wonderful friends and I wouldn't trade them for anything, but bringing fresh material into our lives feels so good.  Bill and I talked all the way home and for another hour after we got home.  We picked up the conversation where we'd left off at dinner and then I filled him in on the chat I had with Markie and he told me about the side bars he had with Ross.  However, most of the time, the four of us were engaged in one big conversation.  I have to remember to try not to dominate the conversation because these people are interesting.  I could actually learn something from both of them.  It was time to shut up and listen, but I talk when I'm happy!

I think the point I'm trying to make is that, connecting with people on an intellectual and emotional level and learning something through that connection is why I'm on this planet.  These connections help us make sense of our lives and our world.  I've always enjoyed the connection I have with my husband, my family and my close friends, but I don't choose to widen my circle very often.  For me, it's all about carefully choosing the people with whom to spend my time.  Last night was time very well spent.

Comments

Popular Posts