Finding Inspiration (in bizarre places)

Hi, I'm Elise, and I'm a Facebook addict.  It's been one day since I commented on anyone's posts.  I'm trying to stop 'liking', 'commenting', or posting political stuff.  Seriously.  It was becoming a major problem.  I got so angry about a political statement yesterday that I actually had chest pains!  WHAT?  That's insanity!  I've 'unfollowed' every person who makes posts that are not in line with my philosophy. Extreme?  Maybe, but why should I subject myself to negativity and pain when I can simply not see that stuff?  I can just TURN IT OFF.  Whew.

Here's why I allowed Facebook to become too important:  I like words.  I like connecting with people using my words.  I like pictures.  I like taking pictures, sharing pictures and seeing my friends' pictures.  Those are all positive things that Facebook enables us to do.  However, when we use tools for negative purposes (guilty), then we are no better than the idiotic meme that inspired our political rant.

At first, I was in denial.  'I could walk away anytime.  I didn't need to check Facebook 20 times a day!  I have better things to do, and Facebook isn't getting in the way of that.'  Wrong.  I would start to argue with someone on Facebook and just not be able to let it go.  I had to have the last word.  I couldn't let the other person 'win'.  My husband would listen to me read the posts to him and say, 'It's not worth it, Elise.  Just walk away.'  The problem is, however, that he has the same problem when he gets into a heated debate.  He wants to WIN and he usually does.  We're winners.  Except, what were we winning?  Chest pain?  Anger?  Anxiety?  No, thanks!

So, without discussing what made me so angry, I'll tell you about the positive thing that happened right after I decided not to engage on Facebook.  A friend of mine from high school posted a question on the very political post that I made.  (It had to do with gun control).  This particular friend is German and she's lived all over the world.  She's very intelligent and not judgmental.  She simply asked what was going on that prompted me to make my statement.  I explained, as concisely as possible that I don't think more regulation is the answer to any of our country's problems, but that I think most of our problems are because our government has become too big and regulates every aspect of our lives.  We had a polite, respectful chat.  I thanked her for her questions.  I know she probably doesn't agree with me, but she thanked me for explaining my position.

Just when I'd lost all faith in the possibility of an honest, open, respectful discussion with someone who DOES NOT agree with me, Marion stepped in and reminded me that there are good people on all sides of most issues.  Most people are doing the best they can to make what they think are good choices.  I needed that reminder.  Sometimes I start to think that everyone is rude and incapable of being rational because of what I see on Facebook.  I forget that Facebook is in no way indicative of how people act in 'real' life.  My friends on Facebook aren't all my 'real' friends, either.

So, with my faith in humanity restored, I'm now going to make breakfast for my family and not take a picture of it to post on Facebook!  Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts