Spaghetti Squash Chifferini (AKA the best pasta dish I've ever made)

I haven't posted any recipes lately, but tonight's invention was such a success that I want to share it with you.  I hope your family loves it as much as we did!

I bought a spaghetti squash at the grocery store this week, but I wasn't sure what  I was going to do with it.  Here's how my thought process went:  'Oh, I love spaghetti squash, but Bill doesn't really like it.  Whatever, I'm buying it and I'll figure out something awesome to do with it so he likes it, too.'

I had a bunch of little tomatoes that I needed to use.  I had an onion.  I had pasta.  I always have garlic, butter and olive oil.  This is what I did:

Creamy Spaghetti Squash Chifferini 
This recipe yields about six servings.

Ingredients:
1 lb of Chifferini pasta
1 medium spaghetti squash
1/2 pint of small tomatoes (I used little yellow, green, red and orange ones), halved
1/2 stick of butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 cloves of minced garlic
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 onion, diced

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Pierce the spaghetti squash with a knife several times.  Place the squash on a baking sheet and bake it for an hour.  Place the squash on a cutting board and cut it in half.  Wait for it to cool enough to handle and scoop out the seeds.  Then, with a fork, shred the flesh into a bowl.  It should look like yellow spaghetti.

While the spaghetti squash is baking, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a dutch oven.  Add the onion, sprinkle with salt and cook for about 10 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute.  Add the butter.  When the butter is melted, add the tomatoes and the vinegars, stir to coat, sprinkle with a little more salt and then cover with a lid.

Boil 4 quarts of salted (at least 2 tbsp of salt) water.  Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions.

After the tomatoes have almost completely melted into the butter and oil, add the spaghetti squash.  Toss to coat in the sauce.  Add the heavy cream and toss again.  Add salt and pepper.  Cover and simmer on low heat.

When the pasta is finished, drain it, but reserve 1/3 cup of the pasta water.  Add the water to the sauce with the pasta.  Toss to combine.  Allow the pasta to cook with the sauce for another minute.  Serve immediately.

It is so creamy and delicious that you don't even need cheese, but feel free to add some fresh parmesan or basil.  I also think that lobster, crab, shrimp or chicken would be fantastic with this.  All I know is that my husband and I both went back for seconds and my 3-year-old said it made him laugh because he's so happy!  Works for me!







Comments

Popular Posts