Learning to Teach

As parents, we are our children's first teachers. Whether we acknowledge that fact or not, it is a true thing. As you know, I'm about 99% sure I will take on the role of educator for my children, after my older son, Soren, is finished with his Montessori preschool experience. He has one more year. So, to ensure that I'm prepared for this huge undertaking, I've decided to volunteer at this amazing little school in the Fall. I will bring my younger son, who will be two, for two days a week. We will observe the other kids. I will follow Kieran around while he explores and make sure he doesn't destroy the environment. Most importantly, I will learn how to teach from one of the best teachers I've ever encountered. When Nancy agreed to let me come in to do this, it was because they needed more kids in order to stay open next year. I offered to bring Kieran part-time, but pay full-time tuition for him. (They charge almost nothing, so it is beyond worth it.) Now I have the opportunity to truly understand how Nancy goes about educating very young children.

The Montessori approach has always been of interest to me. I've done some reading and observing, but to put the theories into practice will be a very different thing. I'm nervous. I'm excited. I want to prove to myself that I'm ready to take on the challenge of homeschooling. That's really what it's about. Also, I know Nancy has decided to make the upcoming school year her last year of teaching. Her husband passed away last year, and he had been her partner in life and in teaching for forty-five years. She's in her 70's and I think she deserves a rest. However, for purely selfish reasons, I want to learn as much as I can from her while she's still teaching. I want Kieran to experience this little gem of a school. I want Soren to be with his friends and to be so excited about 'school' every day. Then, if I'm truly ready, I will take on the position of full-time mom and teacher.

I asked Nancy to please point out ways that I can adapt my style to the Montessori approach. I know this will be a change for me. In this style of teaching, the teacher follows the child unobtrusively. The environment is prepared for the children, the teacher observes the children and corrects or instructs only as needed. The teacher does not talk a lot. When the teacher does speak, it is quietly and respectfully. I've never heard Nancy yell at or be condescending to her students. This is something I will really need to work on. When my frustration level goes up, so does my volume. I'm hoping Nancy will let me know when I need to tone it down and that I can receive that constructive criticism in a graceful manner. THAT'S A TALL ORDER! I'm not a patient person, by nature. I often react too quickly, too loudly and too extremely. My impulse is to run in and 'fix' the problem, rather than let my children work it out for themselves. However, if I'm constantly fixing their problems, how will they learn to handle things on their own?

I'm really looking forward to this new chapter. I'm also very happy that we still have a couple of months to enjoy our summer. I will have time to do some more reading about the Montessori techniques and practices. My children will have time to relax and be kids. We'll all have plenty of time for unscheduled, unhurried FUN!

Comments

Popular Posts