The Crazy Old Man Who Wants Bunbury Shut Down

I'm upset, so I'm writing.  We had an unnerving incident at our home last Friday.  It was the first day of Bunbury, at about 8:30 in the morning.  I was folding laundry in the living room while the boys watched 'kid shows' when I heard someone try to open our front door.  I immediately assumed it was my husband coming back to get something that he forgot for the festival.  However, when I got to the door, it was a man I didn't know.  He was trying to open my front door.  We live in a private home, on a residential street.  He said, 'hi'.  I said, 'Can I help you?' (I didn't open the door.)

Crazy Old Man: 'Yeah, is this Bunbury?'
Me:  'No, their offices are downtown, but everyone is down at the event site getting ready for this afternoon.'

Crazy:  'Well, I want to talk to the guy in charge.'

Me:  'He's on the event site.'

Crazy:  'Well, I need tickets.'

Me:  'You can purchase them at the gate at 1:00 pm.'

Crazy:  'I live at building name removed to avoid legal nonsense.'

Me:  'Oh, well, that's very convenient to the festival.  You can walk!'

Crazy:  'NO!  IT'S NOT CONVENIENT!  I hate it!  I want to talk to your husband about shutting it down!'

Me:  'Leave my property before I call the police.'

Crazy:  'YOU'RE A BITCH!!'

Me:  'GET OFF MY PROPERTY!'

He left.  I called my husband, my parents and the police.  It turns out that the same guy also went to the event site that morning.  The security team wouldn't let him in, obviously.  The head of our security team also knows who the guy is, because he lives in the same building.  We now have his name, address and his license number.

So, fast forward to this afternoon.  I put the baby down for his nap.  While I was upstairs, I heard the doorbell ring.  I couple of minutes later, I was downstairs and my four year old told me that a man came to the door.  He said the man was very nice and old and said he wanted to bring Soren a treat.  Soren said he couldn't open the door, but that I would be down in a minute.  The man said he would come back with a treat for Soren.

I asked Soren to describe the man.  He said he was old with black and white hair and a prickly beard.  (Same as the guy from Friday.)   He said he had a red shirt on with buttons and short sleeves.  I told Soren he did great and I was proud of him for not opening the door.  

I looked out the window and noticed a black SUV sitting in front of our house.  As soon as I pulled the curtain back, the SUV drove away.  I called my husband.  I called the police.  The police came to the house, took another report and told me what I need in order to file a restraining order.  I will be talking to an attorney as well.  

The police are patrolling our neighborhood today and tonight.  I will go to the court house as soon as I can.  My husband is home and he is ARMED.  Nobody gets to come to my house and terrorize my family.  

I guess I'm just venting.  I'm also really proud of my son for not opening the door.  I've told him that, from now on, he doesn't even GO to the door.  He may not talk to strangers at all.  He understands.  The very nice officers also reiterated that same thing when they were here.  They were great with Soren and he did a very good job when he was questioned.  

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared.  I know we did all the right things and that the police are on it, but I also know that a million crazy things could have happened if things had gone a bit differently.  What if Soren had opened the door?  I can't even let myself think about that.  

What's weird is that I keep thinking this is going to be a very exciting chapter in the book I'm going to write about our lives... one of these days.  Thanks for reading.  Stay safe.  Lock your doors and talk to your kids about stranger danger.

This guy is clearly disturbed.  I would say I'm praying for him, BUT I'M NOT.  I hope he ends up in jail for a very long time.  Not sure how I'm going to make that happen, but I'm working on it.    

Comments

Popular Posts