Falling in Love... AGAIN and AGAIN

Don't worry.  This isn't going to be some kind of fluffy, mushy piece of yuck.  I'm not going to talk about date nights and getting 'in the mood'.  Bleh.  No, this is about embracing the life you've chosen.  This is about falling in love with your entire family, over and over again.

Because, let's face it, we aren't always in love with our spouse or our children.  Hopefully we always love them, but that IN LOVE feeling doesn't happen every day.  When it does, you know it.  It's like a bolt of lightning.  It's like fireworks, (and every other cliche that describes the feeling of overwhelming joy that takes over every part of your being).

It happened to me this morning.  I was outside on our new patio, drinking my coffee.  The birds were singing.  The sky was blue.  Pretty, puffy clouds were slowly drifting across that gorgeous expanse of open space.  I took a deep breath.  I started thinking about the upcoming day.  I get to take the boys to my mother-in-law's house.  She's going to watch them while I go get... wait for it... a MANI-PEDI!  It's one of my favorite things to do.

So, while I was thinking about the upcoming treat, I heard the baby start to make a fuss about something.  I looked in the window and saw my husband wiping Kieran's nose and taking care of whatever his little issue was.  That was when it happened.  The bolt of lightning.

Here is this man.  This extraordinary, ordinary man.  He is working his butt off right now.  He only slept for about four hours last night.  But he was still awake at 6:30, ready to take care of the kids so I could have my coffee in peace and then take a shower all by myself.  He's still home for dinner every night and helps put the kids to bed.  He still listens to all the details of my day and is patient when our monkeys want to tell him stuff, climb on him, or throw tantrums about nothing.

He's here.  He's really here.  He takes care of all of us and works harder at his job than anyone I've ever seen.  That's when it usually hits me.  To see him doing all of his jobs and wearing all of his hats so well, is to fall in love with him all over again.   And, when I fall in love with him, I can't help but fall in love with my boys.  They are him.  They are me.  They are us.  


Comments

Popular Posts