The Parenting Team

At this point, I am going to start talking about my marriage and family very specifically. Theories can be interesting, but I think most of us learn by watching others and by doing. I have learned a great deal about marriage and parenting from books, but I have learned more by observing real families and by experimenting with my own. The moment when I knew my husband had true marriage potential was when he told me that our relationship had to come first, even after we have children. This was something I had already learned from my parents. They always said that they were the top priority and my sister and I were tied for second. This sounds counter to what most of our society is taught, but let me explain. If the parenting team is falling apart, the children suffer. We must nurture and take care of our marriage above all else because our entire way of life depends on it. Think of being on an airplane when the flight attendant tells you to put your oxygen mask on first before helping any children or loved ones. If you don't take care of yourself and your marriage, the kids are doomed.

Comments

Popular Posts