No More Excuses!

Last night, I had an epiphany.  I didn't write it down, so it's taking me a while to remember it...

It started because we had a wonderful weekend.  I've lost nine pounds, cooked amazing, healthy dinners and exercised quite a bit.  My husband and I got to have two date nights in a row!  We're planning another vacation, even though we just got back from the last one!  Life is good.

Then I started thinking about why life is so good right now.  It's good because I'm taking care of myself, my husband is taking care of himself, we're taking care of our boys and our boys are learning to take care of themselves.  Because of all of these things, we've been able to reach out to new people.  We've made new friends, met new neighbors and joined a homeschool co-op.  

We had to be solid first.  I had to feel competent with homeschooling before I joined a group.  I had to feel sure that taking care of myself is 'worth the time' before committing to a gym and training group.  I had to feel confident before reaching out to new friends, instead of just always relying on my old friends.

So, we packed up a welcome bag for our new neighbors.  We marched next door and rang the bell.  We introduced ourselves and welcomed them.  They seem very nice and have three boys!!  Woo hoo! 

We had dinner with three people on Saturday night.  We already knew two of them, but had never met the wife.  She's one of the coolest people I've ever met!  Here's me, all dressed up and nervous to meet someone that my husband thinks very highly of.  No need.  She's down to earth, very smart, a great conversationalist and has two children.  We had soooooo much in common.  It's so fun when that happens.  She even asked for my number!  (Sounds like a date!  HA!)

It feels good to reach out.  I'm always happier when I do.  So, the question is, why don't I do it more often.  The answer is complicated:

1.  I'm very focused on my family of four.  Sometimes I feel like I can't do anymore than teach my boys, do the laundry, keep the house in relative order and provide food.

2.  I'm a little bit lazy.  Okay, more than a little.  I love to cozy up on the couch with my writing, a book or even to watch TV.  

3.  I get sad.  This is the hard one.  Sometimes I'm too sad to want to meet up with people I already know, let alone people I don't know. 

4.  I get angry.  I'm usually angry with myself for 'not doing enough'.  

5.  I'm not ready.  Sometimes we don't get dressed all day.  We're not nudists, but sometimes we don't get out of our PJ's.  When I'm not dressed, I don't even want to answer the door for UPS, let alone go outside.  Going outside means I have to get off the couch, shower, put clothes on and brush my hair.  Ugh.  That's too hard.

WOW!  That's a lot of excuses!  Those same excuses also kept me from exercising and eating right.  NO MORE!  It's time!  I'm getting to work!!!

Comments

Popular Posts