Selfish is Good

If we talk to ourselves, are we crazy?

It depends on what we say.  It depends on the message.  It depends on how the message is received.  I talk to myself all the time.  Sometimes out loud, sometimes in my head and sometimes I write it down.  I tend to only write the good things.  I tend to only write the the things I think are worth writing and sharing.

I used to talk to myself and say mean things.  Sometimes I still do.  However, if we tell ourselves mean things, does anyone want to hear it?  Do I even want to hear it or does it make me sad, depressed, lonely, tired and anxious?  Yes.  It does.  If I tell myself I'm lazy, fat and that I can't find my passion, then I am lazy, fat and unmotivated.  I've deprived myself of the passion I used to feel.  For everything.

Instead of feeling those negative things, I want to feel good.  I want to say good things so that I can do good things.  If I tell myself I'm worthless, then I behave like a worthless person.  If I tell myself good things, I am kind to myself.  I'm gentle.  I'm forgiving and I can learn.

If I can learn, I can share what I've learned.  If I can share it, then I can do more and grow.  I want that for myself.  I want that for my students.  I want that for my children and for my friends.  I want that for all the people I love.  There are so many of those people.  Rather than focus on all the things we don't like, why don't we focus on the people we love, including ourselves?  Let's not leave ourselves off of that very important list!  Why don't we put ourselves first on that list?  Why can't we love ourselves the most, so that we can then offer our best selves to the ones we love?  Is that SELFISH?  YES!  Is Selfishness evil?  NO!

When I am selfish, the world seems beautiful.  There is hope.  There is peace and there is understanding.  When I am 'selfless', the world seems impossible and I don't want to be with the people.  Not any of them.  Not even the ones I love the most.

If all of those things are true, and I know that they are, then it's time for change.  It's time to take care of the most important person in my life.  That's me.  I don't have to apologize for that.  I don't have to feel guilty for taking time to do the things that feed my soul and make me happy.  When I do take that time, I'm then ready to join my loved ones and give them more.  More of my time, more of my energy, more of my concentration.  I want that for them, but I need that for me.

I hope that my friends who read this will feel less lonely.  I hope they will feel loved.  I hope they will put themselves first on their list.

Comments

Popular Posts