Looking in Windows

We all do it.  We see a window and we want to look in.  We're curious.  The same thing happens when we're inside.  We see a window and we want to look out.  Sometimes we close our curtains and blinds so we can't see out and no one else can see in.  Sometimes other people close theirs to keep our eyes out. 

Our world is very controlled, but we still have the most control over our own lives.  We control what we see online.  We control what others see.  I think of social media like my house.  I can open the windows or close them.  I don't have to look out.  I don't have to let anyone else look in.  I don't have to look into theirs.  I can choose how much and when.

I choose to share quite a bit of my life with the world at large.  Whether they choose to enjoy it or not is really none of my business.  I choose to look into other people's lives to a certain extent.  Frankly, I don't care as much about their lives as I do my own.  Therefore, I spend more time writing about my life and taking pictures of the people I care about.  Really, I would like to spend most of my time actually DOING things with my family and friends. 

Do I?  I think I do, but then I notice another hour has gone by and I've been typing or posting.  Typing and posting don't count as activities I do with my family, do they?  Well, not unless I involve them in the process.  Sometimes I read what I've written to the boys or my husband.  Sometimes I show them the pictures I'm adding.  Other than that, it doesn't count as a family activity.

Is that okay?  Hell, yes!  This is an activity that I enjoy ALL BY MYSELF.  I don't need anyone else in order to do it.  I just need me, my thoughts and a computer of some kind.  (Even my phone or a pad and paper will do in a pinch.)  It's vital to my well-being that I be able to write about all of this stuff.  So, even if no one ever reads it, it matters.  It matters to me.

Feel free to peer into my windows when they're open.  That's what they're for.  I'll close them when I need to.  


Comments

Popular Posts