Here Comes the Sun!

I woke up thinking about the seasons.  It's Spring!  This winter seemed to fly by.  We had huge parties for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Then we went to Florida for three weeks.  We were only home for a month when we had the opportunity to go back for four days.  My husband and I went on our first vacation, without the kids, since we went to the UK and France in 2009.

We were home by the end of January.  February is usually my worst month.  I tend to get very depressed and just want to hibernate until April, sometimes May.  Last year, we went to Scotland in April.  That did wonders for me.  It shook me up and helped get me out of my yearly funk.

This year, we did our traveling before my customary downward spiral.  This was the first time that I didn't get depressed during winter, since 1993.  We were in Florida for a month, total.  All of that sunshine, fresh air, sand and surf fed my soul and made me feel so much better.  I never think of myself as a sunworshipper.  I hate to be hot.  I hate to sweat.  I burn easily.  For all of those reasons, I avoid going outside on hot, sunny days.

Winter in Florida is different.  It's not too hot, but it is very sunny.  We didn't have any rain.  We walked everywhere, because we stayed in little towns.  I did yoga on the beach.  I didn't eat too much.  I drank more moderately than I usually do.

That's it.  That's the key to me being happy in the middle of winter.  I just need to get more sun!  I need to walk and move more.  I need to eat healthy stuff and then go for another walk.  SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is a REAL thing.  I didn't really believe it before.  I thought it might have something to do with mood, but I never thought the weather could impact us so much.  I know we need the Sun for life on this planet to exist, but it never occurred to me that it had so much power over MY LIFE.  How arrogant.  I was sure that my moods were so unique, even the Sun couldn't impact me.

I was wrong.  I'm glad I was wrong.  From now on, we'll go somewhere warm and sunny in the winter.  Problem solved.

Comments

Popular Posts