Be Careful What You Ask For

Some people will bend over backwards to help when asked.  I'm not usually one of those people.  I have no problem saying, 'No'.  I usually feel like I'm doing enough and I know when something is too much.  Others will find a way to add one more thing, and then another, and another to their to-do lists.  My husband is in that camp.  That's why I have to be very careful not to overload him.

We're doing some cosmetic renovations to our home right now.  It's not the best time, but it's the right time.  The party I'm planning for his 50th birthday is the catalyst.  It was supposed to be a surprise party, but he knows something is happening.  Our younger son let the cat out of the bag.  So, I was able to ask for paint, carpet and slip covers.  My husband agreed too all of it.  Then I added dresses, shoes, hair and makeup.  Then I added catering, valet services, cleaning ladies and musicians.  It's going to be big.

I can't think of very many situations when my husband has said, 'No' to one of my requests.  Sometimes he says we should wait, but rarely does he say 'No'.  When I told him that, he said, "Well, you don't really ask for very much."

HA!  I don't ask for very much?!  I listed all the things that he pays for with his (our) money.  I know it's our money, but he's the one making it.  I teach, cook, clean and manage the house (sort of).  Still, he doesn't think I ask for much.  I said, "Really?  Is that how you really feel?  You pay for our entire lives.  You bought the house, the cars, the clothes, the food and the vacations.  You tell me to spend what I need to spend on educational materials, my own clothes and anything else I need.  I have everything I need AND most of what I WANT."

"Right, but you don't want much."

That's how he feels.  I always feel like I want a lot.  However, the things I want aren't usually things.  They're experiences, vacations, date nights and fun activities.  I want time with the people I love.  Sometimes that means I need some new clothes.  He wants me to look nice when we're out with people.  He's more than okay with it.  In fact, when I wanted to buy one dress for the party, he looked over my shoulder and said, "But, you have to get that one, too!  And what about that one?"  Still, I got three dresses for $200.00.  So, I'm thrifty.  You can't even find one good dress for $200.00 at a department store.  See how I rationalize?

I'm not bragging.  This is a cautionary tale.  Be careful what you ask for. I don't need more stuff.  I need for us to sock it away into our savings and retirement funds.  He wants to give me everything.  I have to remember that he already has.

Comments

Popular Posts