Those Who Can, Do.

We've all heard the old saying:

Those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach.

The former is true.  The latter is a fallacy created by people who didn't like their teachers in school, or who failed to make the grade.

I loved, respected and admired most of my teachers.  I learned so much from so many.  These were not inept human beings.  These were people who, despite being given tremendous abilities, decided to spend their time developing the minds of the future.  They could have chosen to go on in their respective fields.  They could have been writers, actors, musicians, scientists, engineers, doctors or lawyers.  They chose to teach.  I'm very grateful to them.

They didn't get paid a lot of money.  They worked in less than ideal environments.  They surrounded themselves with runny noses, finger paint and playground fights.  Later, they were surrounded by hormones, growing pains and high school drama.  Why did they do it?

I think I know, now.  I'm a teacher.  I do it because it is my calling.  Every time I learn something, I'm driven to pass it on.  Every time I see my children's eyes light up, I know something important is happening.  When I get to witness them master a new concept or skill, I am honored.

Good teachers can leave their egos at the door.  Good teachers can lead by example, rather than control or fear.  It is not an easy vocation.  It is not highly regarded, in some circles.  The market certainly does not value teachers, but that doesn't matter to the good ones.  The good ones would do it  for nothing.  I do.  I haven't been paid to teach since I had a 'real job'.

How do we know when we're ready to teach?  It's simple.  We're ready to teach when we've mastered something.  Does mastery mean perfection?  On the contrary, mastery means we have acquired knowledge and can do something well, with that knowledge.  At that point, we're ready to teach.  It doesn't require a degree in teaching.  It simply requires mastery.

Now, for my readers with a degree in education, I'm not saying that learning how to teach is not important.  My teaching skills are improving every day.  I read about it, observe others doing it and practice it.  I make notes about my observations and I study them.  I just haven't done those things at a university.  If I wanted to teach in a brick and mortar school, I would need to get a degree.  I don't want to do that right now.

Right now, I'm deeply immersed in the learning process.  I'm learning with my boys.  Sometimes I'm the teacher, but more often, we're all students.  They drive the train and I jump on with some new ideas, books or activities.  I spend more time observing or demonstrating than I do talking.  I listen to them.  I ask a few questions.  Then I let them go.  They come back to me when they're ready for something new and I'm more than happy to take the lead, for a little while.

Therefore, yes, 'those who can, do.'  Those who master, teach.

Comments

Popular Posts