Scream All You Want. I DON'T CARE!

Two months ago, I started taking my boys to our YMCA.  We've done this every summer since my big boy was a baby.  I work out, Soren takes swimming lessons and we all play at the pool.  This year, I decided to try something different.  I needed to.  I always start out strong and then fall off the wagon after a couple of months.  Someone gets sick or I have cramps and I skip a couple of days.  Then I just stop going completely

So, I decided that had to change.  I need to adopt a healthier lifestyle for the duration, not just for the summer.  I have a significant amount of weight to lose and I need more energy.  I just want to feel good in my own skin again.

I decided I needed to be accountable, so I signed up with a personal trainer.  They have them at the Y.  There is an extra cost, but I think my health is worth it.  I just knew that, if I paid for something and made a commitment to someone (other than myself), I might actually stick with it.  Enter Lorrie.  She's an amazing person who also battled her weight for a long time.  We're about the same age and she's a married mom of three kids.  She lost 80 pounds to get where she is.  She's lean and strong.  We clicked right away.

I've only had six sessions with Lorrie, but in that time, I was able to lose 18 pounds and a lot of inches.  She took my measurements and weight at our first session, but she didn't take them again until my last session.  WOW!  It was so motivating to see those numbers change.  However, the best part of this process is not the numbers on my scale.  It's how I feel.  I have tons of energy.  I'm sleeping better.  I'm not achy and stiff all the time.  (My muscles are sore, but in a good way.)

Also, because I've been working out three times a week for two months, I'm now starting to crave physical activity.  I don't want to just sit on my couch all day.  I don't want to sit on a bench and watch my kids play at the park.  I want to play with them!  I want to jog with the stroller, rather than walk.  I want to swim laps and ride bikes.

I'm remembering what it feels like to be healthy and strong.  I was a swimmer, once upon a time.  I loved the water and I loved to push myself.  My body forgot all about that, but my brain didn't.

Getting in the water feels good again.  I'm not worried about what the other moms think about my swim dress or how much my thighs are jiggling.  I'm just enjoying the feeling of gliding through the water.  When I work out with Lorrie, I realize I'm capable of more than I think I am.  She pushes me, but not in an annoying, drill sergeant way.  She's funny and honest.  I feel like I'm just working out with a friend who happens to know a lot more than I do about how to get (and stay) in shape.

I'm now kind of addicted to working out.  For those of you who know me, you know this is a complete departure from my previous attitude!  I enjoy so many of the activities and exercises that Lorrie has taught me that I actually look forward to my days at the Y.

Also, for that 45 minutes to an hour, I'm doing something that is just for me.  My kids are in the child watch room and they're fine.  Well, sometimes Kieran screams his head off the entire time he's in there.  You know what, Kieran? Scream all you want.  I DON'T CARE!  I NEED TO DO THIS!  That might sound insensitive and selfish, but guess what?  If I don't take better care of myself, I'm not going to be in any state to care for my boys.  Seriously.  If I don't get healthy, my body is going to quit.  I'll develop heart disease or diabetes or my thyroid will shut down.  Something bad will happen.  Something terrible.

With all of that in mind, I still have a long way to go, but now that I've found a way to enjoy working out again, I think it's going to happen.  I could easily reach my weight loss goal in another seven months.  That's exciting.  However, the most important thing is that I feel better and I LIKE EXERCISING.  That hasn't been the case since I was a swimmer, many moons ago.

See?  Anything is possible.  People can change.  I'm doing it.  Right now.

Comments

Popular Posts