Reading Glasses, Wrinkles and Arbonne!

Well, I've officially moved into the group of people who need glasses for reading.  I realize this isn't a big deal, but it's just another indication of age.  That smack in the face that says, 'You're not as young as you feel!'

However, the fact that I'm not squinting at my Chrome Book right now, is a very nice thing.  I also really like my new frames.  They're cool and a little retro, just like I aspire to be.  My son, Soren, told me that I look funny, but still pretty.  I'll take it.

Vanity aside, I really don't mind wearing them.  They're comfortable and they get the job done.  I LOVE to read and write.  These specs will make those activities even more enjoyable than they already are.  However, I will say that the indications of age are really piling up right now.

Hangovers are a lot worse now, as compared to when I was in my 20's.  This weekend was my proof.  I went to Dayton, Ohio, to spend the weekend with my best friend.  We've been friends for 20 years and we had an amazing time.  Perhaps it was a little too amazing.  I felt so free without the responsibilities of kids and home.  I haven't gone away for the weekend ALL BY MYSELF in six years.  That was before I got married.  My husband and I have had plenty of weekends away or overnight dates, thanks to our parents.  We're very fortunate.   But this time, he stayed with our boys so I could be free.  It felt like old times.  The only difference is that I'm now married with two children.  My friend, John, has also found the love of his life.  They have a beautiful home and three little dogs.

We're grownups now.  We have responsibilities.  We have important goals and nice homes.  We drive new cars and have more than we need.  We went to great restaurants without worrying about whether or not our credit cards would be declined.  Those are all big changes.  Well, they're appropriate changes, considering our age.

We're focused on health, or at least more than we used to be.  I have a personal trainer and go to the YMCA regularly.  We both buy whole, organic food and try to limit sugar and processed junk.  However, this weekend, we didn't do any of that good stuff!  We ate bad food, drank too much and didn't sleep enough.  My body is hating me for that right now.  It was worth it, but I'm so ready to get back on track.  At least it was only a couple days of indulgence.  I can't imagine living like that on a daily basis... anymore.

I guess we've both learned a lot.  We're still the same people.  We still enjoy each other's company immensely.  I still feel completely comfortable and totally myself when I'm with John.  However, when I got home yesterday, I was so happy to be here.  My boys all greeted me at the door!  They told me how much they missed me and how much fun they had.  The fact that I don't have to worry about them or feel guilty about leaving for a couple of days is HUGE!

My husband was happy to see me, but not worn out or angry because I was gone.  In just two days he took the boys to two parks, the zoo, shopping and lunch.  He bought baseballs, bats, a basketball, football and soccer ball.  I guess he's feeling the need to teach Soren about sports!  Awesome!  That's one area in which my skills are lacking.  Swimming is my only sport.  I'll try anything, but I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to throwing, catching, dribbling or shooting.  My husband, on the other hand, is generally athletic.  He played football and soccer.  He even wrestled when he was little.  There's really nothing he can't do.  So, it made me so happy to see him pitching the baseball to Soren.  The fact that Soren could hit that ball made me even happier!  I couldn't do that when I was four!  I can't do that now!

I love the idea that my children have talents that I don't have.  I find it fascinating that Bill and I created such different and interesting people.  Sometimes it's nice to sit back and watch someone else do the teaching.  Maybe Bill could teach me to hit a ball, too!

Perhaps the most important thing I've learned in my 38 years is that you're never too old to learn something new.  You don't have to be embarrassed that you haven't learned it yet.  You only have to be embarrassed if you refuse to try new things.  That's what makes you old.  Not the glasses.  Not the bathing suit with a skirt.  Not the grey hair.  Not the wrinkles or the mysterious, drooping body parts.  Trying new things and learning about stuff that used to scare you is the real triumph.  I'm pretty sure it's the thing that can keep us young!  Here's hoping my theory is correct!

I've just decided to try a very new thing.  A good friend of mine is an Arbonne Representative.  After talking with her and trying the products, I've decided to try starting my own business.  Tomorrow morning, I'm going to her house to learn all about it.   Wish me luck!




Comments

Popular Posts