Summer Can't Be Over Yet!!!

The orientation letter from my son's preschool came in the mail today and with it, the knowledge that summer is almost at an end. It hit me surprisingly hard. I'm not ready for it to be over! We've been having a great time! I love that I can take the boys anywhere at any time (as long as we're home for naps) to do anything. We've spent time at the Y, the parks, the zoo, the museums and the library. You name it, we've done it. We even got to go on a big family vacation up to Lake Michigan this year. It's been an amazing summer, probably the best of my entire life.

Soren will be going to preschool four mornings every week. He is beyond excited about it. He loves his teachers and many of the kids from last year will be returning. I'm happy for him, but I have to admit, I'm a little sad for ME. I will miss my Soren. I know it's only twelve hours a week, but still. Things won't be the same around here without him. Kieran, my almost-one-year-old, will miss him even more than I will. Although, it will be nice to have some one-on-one time with the baby. Second children really miss out on that, so it will be good to have this time for just the two of us.

I can't even really put my finger on what's bothering me about this. I think it has to do with the passage of time. It's going too fast right now. Soren is growing up so quickly and is moving on to do things independently from me. 97% of me is thrilled about that. After all, it's my job to prepare him to be independent. The fact that he really wants to go out into the world and do his own thing should show me that I'm doing a good job. It does. But, then there's the tiny remaining 3% of me that wishes I could slow everything down, just a bit. I want some more mornings to snuggle on the couch with Soren while Kieran naps. We whisper and read stories or do some workbook pages so that we don't wake the baby. That hour and a half has become one of my favorite parts of the entire day. It's really the only part of the day when I have Soren all to myself, just like the days before we had Kieran. Now it will be Kieran and I on our own while Soren is at school. I know that it will be wonderful and new and we'll do great stuff together, but the end of each phase is bittersweet.

So, while I will celebrate with Soren and show him how happy and excited I am for him, there will be a small part of me that is saying, 'Wait! Don't grow up too fast! Just be little for a little longer.' At least we still have three mornings a week for snuggling on the couch...

Comments

Popular Posts