No Silver Lining

Sometimes there is no possible way to find the silver lining in a situation. I can usually spin just about anything, but not this. Not today.

This morning started like any other. I got up with my boys at 5:45 AM. That's their normal time and everyone slept through the night. So far, so good. We came downstairs and I got Soren his breakfast and fed Kieran his bottle. I put Kieran down in his play yard while I got my own breakfast. When I came back into the living room, it was quite obvious that Kieran needed his diaper changed. The wall of stench hit me before I even got to the doorway. Again, nothing out of the ordinary. However, when I went to pick up the baby, I realized IT WAS EVERYWHERE. It was on the mats in the play yard, on his pajamas, on his legs and on his toys. As I quickly assessed the damage and strategically planned the clean-up initiative, I couldn't help but feel very sorry for myself. I mean, really! Does anyone want to start the day this way?

I got Kieran out of his horrifically ruined clothes, cleaned him up, changed him, cleaned the play yard and put that baby directly in the bath. After I got him dressed, I put him in his bed so I could shower and change because I just knew it was on me or my clothes. I couldn't see it, but I knew it was there. I just wanted to disinfect myself and the entire living room. At this point, I pretty much have. I think I've gone through an entire container of Clorox wipes and a can of Lysol. I'm all for homemade cleaners for everyday stuff, but when I'm dealing with poop, I want the harsh, evil chemicals. I want to smell that fake lemon scent and know that every germ has been obliterated.

At this point, the freshly-bathed, adorable baby is down for his morning nap. The laundry has been started and there is no evidence of this morning's horror. So, why did I choose to record this particular event? I did it because I know that so many people will tell parents of little children that these are the best years of our lives and that we should savor every moment. I've heard it a million times and it makes me want to jump out of my skin. While it's true that these years are amazing and wonderful, there is no possible way that we should savor every moment. Some moments are NOT savory. They are very far from it. They make us want to give up, run away or send the kids far, far away. We swear under our breath and just try to get through it. We aren't gently cuddling our babies and gazing lovingly into their eyes during these moments. We are trying to touch them as little as possible so that we don't contaminate ourselves anymore than we have to. We know that it's not their fault, but we're angry anyway.

I write about these moments so you can know that you're not alone. You aren't evil if you can't find the good in these situations. You're human. You're a parent. You'll get through it and move on to plenty of glorious moments, but it's okay to be a little pissed off when you're elbow deep in poop.

Comments

Popular Posts