Finish the Book (And Write 9 More)

That's what my Grammy Hannan said to me the other day.  She's been helping me a great deal with the novel I'm working on.  I'm well into Part II and I have absolutely no intention of stopping.  It's too fun!  I really didn't think it would be this fun.  I thought it would be interesting and challenging, but I never knew about the pure pleasure I would derive from sitting down at my computer and letting the story pour out of my fingers.

It's almost effortless, so far.  I have 125 pages, and it's nothing but fun.  Sometimes I get a little stuck and have to call someone with a question, but other than that, it's been smooth sailing.

My Grammy has been telling me to write since I started writing poems for my family.  She says I have a gift.  I don't know about that, but it just feels so good to do it that I don't want to stop.

Still, I have insecurities.  I wonder, 'What happens when I have a day when nothing comes to me?  What will I do?  Will I give up?'

She made me promise that I would finish it.  When I jumped in to say that I will.  She said, 'Elise, I'm not finished.  I want you to finish this one, then you'll get published and they'll want you to write one book per year for ten years.'

I laughed.  I was humbled by her tone.  She seemed a bit prophetic, and I just couldn't help but believe her.  Isn't this what good teachers do?  They state things as fact that haven't even happened yet because it makes them seem more possible.  They say it right out loud.  They know what your hopes are and they tell you that they know it will happen!

I believed her, when she said it.  I believed I would get published and then continue on to have a successful writing career with at least nine more books (why nine?)  My Grammy doesn't lie.  She always speaks her truth.  She's a very intelligent woman and she's read thousands and thousands of books.  She should know talent when she sees it, right?

Regardless, that conversation made me feel so good!  All of the little fears were banished and I thought, 'Well, other people write books all the time.  Why not me?!'

You see, my Grammy didn't say, 'Well, have you thought about how time consuming and difficult this is going to be?  How will you homeschool the boys and keep up with your housework while you're writing the Great American Novel?'  She didn't remind me that I've started things before and not finished them.  She didn't point out all of my flaws and show me that they will prevent me from being a successful writer.  No.  Instead, she said, 'I know you're going to do this.  Don't stop until you're finished.'

Thanks, Grammy.  I needed that.

Comments

Popular Posts