Seasonal Affective Disorder or BS?

It's been a long time since I've posted. It was a very busy school year. Ok, that's crap; I just wasn't motivated to write. I'm not sure why that is. I know I usually have a great deal of energy in the warmer months and the winter just wipes me out. Call it Seasonal Affective Disorder, call it BS, it's just my reality.

So, now that the sun is finally shining in beautiful Cincinnati, Ohio, I feel the energy flowing through me once again. The boys and I have started going to the YMCA again. I'm working out, Soren is taking swimming lessons and Kieran is getting used to the child care center that they have. Soren is four and a half now. Kieran is 20 months. I just turned 38. Yeah, that's hard to write. When did that happen? Where is the time going? WHY AM I SO OLD?

Yes, I realize that 38 isn't really that old. Yes, I know that women are supposed to be in their prime in their late 30s. Yes, 40 is the new 30 and blah, blah, blah. My hair is 30% gray, I'm getting crows feet, things are drooping and I'm overweight. So... What does all of that mean? Well, for me (at the moment) it means that I color my hair, use night cream, cook healthy food and exercise. Sounds good right?

Sure, of course it sounds good. The question is, for how long? How long will I stick with it this time? A few months, as per my usual? That's just enough time to start to get some good results. Then I usually lose energy and go back to being pretty sedentary and eating more junk. That's not going to fly anymore. It can't.

Maybe we should move to a warmer climate where I can get more Vitamin D. Maybe I should just take the Vitamin D3 supplements that are already in my medicine cabinet. Maybe I should make a schedule with a personal trainer so that I'm less likely to fall off the wagon. All of these things could help. However, I have a feeling that what will really help will be to sign my sons up for activities at the Y in the fall. I won't let them miss a class or a practice. While I'm there, I'll be able to work out very easily, because I'll already be there. My sons will, once again, become the reason for me to make good choices for myself. Your children can be really good at that. Even now, I'm going to the Y because I know how important it is for Soren to learn to swim. Sometimes it's easier to do something for your children than for yourself. Yes, I know I need to take care of myself in order to take care of them, but let's be real. It's easier to let yourself go sometimes, right moms? I'm not saying it's a good choice, but it seems easier. It seems easier at the time to take care of your children, your home and everything else before taking care of yourself. This isn't a selfless good deed. This is neglect. This is bad prioritizing.

We need to put ourselves back on the top of our own lists. Not just getting 'me time' ( I hate that phrase) but also taking care of our health, our marriages, etc. Trust me, I'm not trying to get preachy. I'm trying to give myself this advice. Wish me luck on following it this time. I'll try to keep you posted.

Comments

  1. Probably all of us go through cycles. I try not to fight it anymore. I just jump in while I have the drive to do something. Right now, I'm on a get this stuff out of my house kick and a spend time outside kick (which is complex, considering that I'm the color of drywall and I'm sensitive to most sunscreens). Thanks for writing! -Lindsay

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts