The Homeschool Debate Continues...

If we want to be effective teacher/parents, the idea that we have to learn how to teach is absolutely true.  However, we do not have to learn it in college.  We do not have to accept the traditional teaching methods.  We do not have to take part in the government's public education system at all.  We, as parents, are responsible for our children's education.  Most parents choose to outsource that responsibility to someone else via traditional schools, either public or private.  I'm making a different choice, but one that makes so much more sense to me.  I know it doesn't make sense to most people.  I know that most people think it's too difficult or that my children will not have any social skills.  (HA!)  Some even think that my children will not be adequately prepared for college and the real world.  (Poppycock!)  I usually just do my own thing and try not to worry about other people's opinions, but that's not working today.  Thus, I blog.

I'm learning to teach every day.  I read.  I study.  I observe.  I practice and experiment.  I've put in more hours as a teacher/parent than it would take for me to receive my Bachelor's and Master's degree combined.  (Every day, all day for 5 years.)  Having a Master's degree doesn't automatically make you a good teacher.  It means you've learned what your university thinks you should know about teaching.  Cool.  However, it doesn't speak to your actual skills in the classroom.

I only care about effective teaching and a LOVE OF LEARNING.  I have it.  My children have it.  They are bright, focused, interesting, passionate young men.  They are ahead of most children their own age.  They are thriving.  They aren't being forced to learn things in a certain way.  Their teacher/parent knows that they each have different learning styles and is able to respond to those very individual needs.  To assume that one system works for all children is a complete fallacy.  To assume that our government knows what is best for us is criminally negligent.

When I was in public schools as a kid, I learned in spite of the system, not because of it.  Many things I learned were just for the test.  That isn't real learning.  That's short term memorization.  I did have some great teachers, but they still had to teach for the tests.  The good teachers went beyond the tests, but it was so hard for them to do that.  They couldn't fully realize their own potential or help us realize ours.

Now, let's talk about being qualified to teach.  Who determines that?  The government with their certification process?  Not in my world!  First of all, I know that I'm qualified to teach my children.  That knowledge is all that's necessary.  How do I know this?  Well, I've always been confident in my intellectual abilities.  I was always close to the top of my class.  I was offered a half-ride to three different universities, based purely on academics.  I got a 1390 on my SAT (720 on Math 670 on Verbal).  My IQ is over 135.  I used to be really proud of those scores.  However, none of that really matters.  What matters is that I CARE!  I'm invested.  Who's more invested in my children?  No one.  Therefore, I will do everything in my power to ensure they have an incredible education.

I have many good friends who are excellent teachers in traditional schools.  I will say again that my problem with traditional schools has very little, if anything, to do with the teachers.  It has everything to do with the way the schools are designed and the way the system has been set up.  To place children of one age in one room and expect them to learn the same stuff at the same time is INSANE.  Some kids will be 'successful', but what does that success mean?  Does it mean they've really learned things?  OR, does it mean they've figured out how to test well?  I speak from personal experience when I say that I learned how to test well.  I knew what they wanted and I gave it to them.  That isn't learning how to think.  That isn't creativity or problem solving ability.  This doesn't do you any good in the real world.  The stuff I really remember from school is the stuff I would have learned on my own because I LOVED it.

I want my boys to learn things when they discover that they need, or simply desire, to know them.   That's the stuff people really remember.  I want them to continue to be curious about the world and how it works.  I want to discover new things with them.  I CAN'T WAIT.  And, the competitive part of me can't wait to compare results with all the people who've questioned my decision.  That may be a little petty, but REALLY!  BRING IT!

We'll talk in 16 years, when my youngest heads off to the college of his choice, or chooses to skip it and start his own business.   Yeah, we'll talk then.


Comments

Popular Posts